Stranger's Gratitude

There are consequences to Portfolio Night that are hard to fathom before they happen. One of them is forming close bonds with people who have a heart of gold.

Recently in Miami during the craziness of the ADC festival, I realised that my German bank card wasn't working in the US. Thankfully everyone accepts credit cards in Miami - even cabs - so I wasn't left high and dry. But you can imagine my nervousness with very little cash in hand and only a credit card for the entire two weeks.

(I immediately emailed my German bank, who funnily enough, replied in perfect English, 4 days later, asking me to resend the request in German, without which they couldn't possibly activate my card for the US. I believe they call this German humour.)

On her last day, Laura Mendez​ came to me and handed me most of her remaining cash telling me that their trip had come to an end and that she'd like me to have the money, and that I could return it after I got back. She did this without me even asking, or stopping to consider if I would ever return the money. Andrew Stencil​ too, offered to help me as soon as he learnt about my situation.

The importance of this gesture I learnt only on landing in New Orleans, where trams, kiosks, Po' boy stands and even Jazz bars are cash-only. If it hadn't been for Laura's kind gesture, I would have had to face some embarrassing situations for sure.

These two, along with Zoltan, Lize-Marie, Vaibhav, Mélissa, Mars, Eva and all those who I've managed to meet me over the two years have only led to great experiences.

A big hug to these wonderful people who Portfolio Night put me in touch with. We are not just a bunch of creatives put in a room to work on ideas. Ultimately we turn into a gang of friends who don't have to hang out often to form strong bonds. Even if we've barely met twice in two years. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Found & Lost.

The falling rise story.